Staff Scholarship Award
Blake Chapman, Scholarship Committee Chair
Scholarship applications will be accepted for the 2016/2017 academic year between April 29 and June 3 at 5pm.The Barbara G. Taylor Staff Senate Scholarship, Rick A. Haley Memorial Scholarship, and the Susan Imes Yell Scholarship will be presented annually (providing funding is available) to at least one full-time University of Arkansas staff member up to the amount of $500.00. The number of scholarships to be awarded will be determined by funds available. Disbursement will be up to $250.00 per semester, spring and fall semesters only. Purpose: These scholarships were developed to promote and encourage staff development through higher education in undergraduate and graduate studies. Eligibility: Applicant must be a 100% appointed, full-time University of Arkansas, Fayetteville staff employee for at least one year prior to the scholarship deadline.
Criteria: The following criteria will be utilized to determine the scholarships. Eligible applicants must:
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance in the pursuit of further education.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in prior college or high school coursework to receive the award.
- Be admitted as a degree seeking student and enroll in at least 3 credit hours of coursework per semester at the University of Arkansas/Fayetteville as determined by ISIS.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the fall semester in order to continue the scholarship for the spring semester.
- Express a desire to contribute to the University through further educational endeavors.
- Provide at least two references by submitting two letters of recommendation.
- Be available for an interview at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee.
All required application materials should be typed or printed in ink, complete in content, and submitted together, including:
- Completed Staff Scholarship Application Form
- Completed Statement of Educational Purpose and Need Form
- Two Recommendation Forms
- Current transcript of college coursework
Selection Process: The Scholarship Committee will determine the recipient(s) of these scholarships. The completed application forms must be submitted to the Chair of the Scholarship Committee before 5:00 p.m. on the 1st Friday of June. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If the recipient of the scholarship is no longer an employee, no longer a student, or does not meet the GPA requirements, the scholarship will be rescinded.
The scholarship(s) will be awarded by the 2nd Thursday of August. Once the recipient of the scholarship is determined, the scholarship process will be as follows:
- The recipient will be notified.
- The Staff Senate, Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the media, the recipient’s immediate supervisor, dean, direct, and/or department head will be notified.
- The recipient will be recognized at the Employee Recognition Banquet.